So my last post on this blog was 9 months ago. I really suck at keeping up with this. But in my defence, I've put off a lot because this site is supposed to be getting redesigned. Unfortunately, my wife's workload has been such that she's not been able to get the design updates completed so I'm sitting with a half-assed, half-completed website. Not happy about that, but there's only so much she and I have time to do. This WILL eventually be updated regularly, but it's going to take a few months, as will other projects that have been delayed. But enough of that...
Since the last post, a lot has happened. Chief of which is that I am no longer based primarily out of Los Angeles. To make a long story short, we are working between Los Angeles and Albuquerque, NM in order to be around to assist Christy's elderly parents. Our primary home is now in the Albuquerque suburb of RIo Rancho while keeping a smaller residence and office in LA. Currently, Christy is in LA with clients while I get my business up and running in Rio Rancho while also taking care of our son. For me, this is a homecoming. I am a Californian by birth, but I'm a New Mexican by upbringing; and being back home has some benefits, which I will bring up in a moment.
So what's going on? Obviously, I now have to build my music and media businesses here an entirely new market while trying to maintain what I had already started in LA. But with the change of location and the need to be more available for my son while Christy is servicing her LA clients, I've had to change strategies...
- Obviously, I have to rebuild my gigging foundation. Aliento/Agave is obviously over for now. Though, salsa and Latin music is a HUGE thing here. After things get settled in, I'll get started on version 3 of the band. In the meantime, I have to get networked and start playing live. Step 1 of this is that I just started with a local trio called Cynical Bird, which does a mix of covers and originals. My debut with the group is this weekend. Depending on how often they gig, I may add another project for purposes of revenue before I move on to the rebirth (again) of Aliento.
- Another line of income is obviously teaching. To this end, there are a few things in play. In addition to setting up profiles on Learnivore, Take Lessons, and some other online services to be able to do some remote teaching. But I'm also working on getting into local studios. Currently, I'm working with a small studio a few blocks from me as a business consultant, which hopefully will build into a part-time or full-time position. More to come on that.
- My YouTube channel has had to be put on hold for a few months. I'm having to set up a new shooting area as well as replacing equipment that was stolen in the course of the move. While this is really frustrating, I think it will be good for me to be able to reset and rethink how I'm going to format the channel so that I'm putting out the best possible content.
- Once I get past this initial run of gigs with Cynical Bird (which require me to get up to speed on about 100 songs), I'll be working on getting more fluent in Studio One and hopefully Logic so that I can start a line of business involving in-home bass tracking.
- Video editing and promotional video creation are still in play, but I'm cutting back on the volume while I get some of these other pieces into play.
- Last, but not least, I'm going to be going back to school to finally pursue my long-delayed Master's Degree in Music Education. Since I'm going to be going through the online option offered through my alma mater, living in New Mexico gives me in-state tuition, which cuts my expenses down considerably.
So there you have it. All the news that's fit to print. Hopefully, I'll be better about updates moving forward.